Thursday, October 2, 2008

Emergency Preparedness

I have always been into Emergency Preparedness. I had complete bags for each of the boys at one time. Then the food needed to be rotated and I became a slacker and didn't replace the contents. For now...the boys each have the following in their packs...
Water, toothbrush, toothpaste, toilet paper, poncho, first aid kit, crayons for the younger boys, pens, pencils, notebook, 3 pair underwear, 3 pair socks, 2 undershirts, a very large plastic bag and a wool blanket.
There are lots of things that need to be added like flashlights with batteries, pocket knives, small radios, food items, jeans, rubber boots, etc.

But the highlight of the day while contemplating a switchover from the packs I originally had were these babies. (The original packs were far from waterproof and we needed more room.) These are brand-new backpacks. I found them today at Fred Meyers of all places at 60% OFF! AND I had an additional 15% off coupon as well. These should have cost $120 for 4 packs but I only paid $40. WHOOHOO!

I have a backpack in my closet that really should be put to use and Russell has a gigantic fire-fighting yellow backpack in the garage that needs to be redone. Then I will be feeling better about where we stand in our emergency planning.

How are you doing with your preparations?

4 comments:

The Katy Daileys said...

Those look awesome! It makes you feel so good/at peace to have that done. We were forced by Hurricane Rita to get ours in gear. I just got two giant tubs with lids and put everyone's stuff in there. Our most likely disaster requires jumping in the car with our tubs and getting out of town (we usually have a weeks notice one is coming). I always keep a big tool box in the back of my car with food, toys, first aid, flashlight, rope, etc., also. My in-laws used it when they had to evacuate from Gustav with my kids (stuck for 5 hours in traffic). This is a good thing to get going, especially these days when it seems the disasters are coming more frequently!

Candace said...

I've thought about the big rubbermaid tubs but in any event should we need to leave - it would require only what we can carry. Therefore the packs. We can't carry big rubbermaids very far. lol

Eileen said...

how am i doing with it? feeling like a total slug, thank you very much :-) i purged a bunch of things in the garage in august, but never replaced it. and, of course, even attempting to store 3 days worth of water for me in my vehicle is virtually impossible unless i want to destroy the struts and shocks. at least i put a note in my calendar for this week, so i guess i'm not totally lame about it. and i guess if i stop thinking about this as a normal person and start thinking about it as the cancer chick it might even go pretty fast. i mean how long will it actually take to make up a bunch of packs of soup powder and veggies? and vitamins, of course. it will be much harder to prepare the doggie because he doesn't understand and wouldn't understand if his beloved homemade food was replaced with only kibble. and he'd, naturally, express his dissatisfaction by doing something rather not-nice to me. (not to self: pack extra clothes.) anyway...excellent job candace. you are inspiring! hugs...ellie

Sharona said...

Must you go there?!?! I have sad feelings when I evaluate my own plans and supplies. Here I work for the BSA and I barely have an emergency kit. I have 30 days of food but that isn't going to be enough with my new house guests - partially permanent house guests.

Thanks for the inspiration to get moving!

I just love this picture! The beach...it's the place to be!

I just love this picture!  The beach...it's the place to be!
I think this was in 2004. It was Nephi's first trip to the beach. The boys were all so little! My have they grown.

Meet the Parents...Russell and Candace

Meet the Parents...Russell and Candace
It all started for us when Russell left for Cape Town South Africa on a mission. Candace felt inspired to write him - so she did! We wrote for 3 1/2 years. Candace came home from her mission to the Texas Houston East Mission and we dated for 5 months. We married in July 1994 and have been happy ever after!

Son 1...Donovan

Son 1...Donovan
Our 14 year old boy scouter, 50 miler bike rider, cartoon drawer, computer gamer, book reader, clarinet player, babysitter, 8th grader boy!

Son 2...Christopher

Son 2...Christopher
Our 13 year old, boy scouter, harry potter computer gamer, lego creator, imaginator, book reader, 6th grader boy!

Son 3...Michael

Son 3...Michael
Our 9 1/2 year old drama king, perfectionist (I wonder if he gets that from mom? lol), drawer of many things, 3rd grader boy!

Son 4...Nephi

Son 4...Nephi
Our8 year old keeper of surprises, leg breaker, book listener, lego creator, music enjoyer, 1st grader boy!